The Miami Beach Convention Center has developed the MBCC Planned Phase Opening Approach in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. The guidelines were developed by an internal task force, comprised of representatives from Centerplate, Smart City, First Class Valet, Everlast Productions and Spectra Venue Management.
- The MBCC task force received guidance through the following resources: federal, state, county and city guidelines, industry associations and affiliations, destination partners, General Service Contractors and clients.
- Much like COVID-19, this recovery plan is very fluid and will change. It has been developed with protective our collective public health.
- There is an on-going collaboration amongst the MBCC’s internal taskforce, corporate, clients and external contract partners.
Cleaning: There will be an increase in the frequency of cleaning in high-traffic public areas throughout the facility.
- High-traffic areas include door handles, elevator buttons, escalator handrails, etc.
- Areas will be frequently sanitized with EPA registered disinfectants (as recommended by the CDC) by cleaning staff.
- Restrooms will be sanitized with EPA registered disinfectants, and MBCC restrooms include touchless faucets and flushes.
- Rooms and equipment will have increased cleaning.
- Informational hygiene signage has been installed throughout the venue (both back of house and front of house) in English and Spanish encouraging health practices such as handwashing, respiratory etiquette and “stay home if sick” messaging.
- The MBCC is proud to have received GBAC STAR Facility Accreditation in recognition of enhanced venue health and safety measures. Established by the Global Biorisk Advisory Council (a division of ISSA, the worldwide cleaning industry association) the GBAC STAR™ program establishes requirements to support venue work practices, protocols, procedures, and systems that minimize risks associated with infectious agents such as COVID-19.
- MBCC has designated Health Ambassadors to coordinate with local teams, work with local public health officials, act as client liaisons and conduct sanitation walkthroughs.
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE): All MBCC employees will wear personal protective equipment, including face coverings, in support of the City of Miami Beach’s public health recommendations.
- Portable and wall-mounted hand sanitizing stations can be found throughout lobbies, meeting room corridors, pre-function spaces and other high-traffic areas.
- All guests will be required to wear a face covering once they enter MBCC, in accordance with local recommendations.
Food and Beverage: Centerplate (MBCC’s exclusive provider for F&B) has launched Rise with Centerplate, a multidimensional approach based on the preventative practices for F&B. Customized menus and presentations are tailored to provide a safer experience for guests.
Staff Training: All MBCC employees will be participating in the State of Florida Department of Health COVID-19 & PPE Training program.
Physical Distancing: In accordance with the City of Miami Beach and Miami Dade County requirements (and as suggested by the CDC), MBCC’s guidelines follow the rule of 6 feet of distance between employees and all others (including front of house, back of house, all offices and in public spaces).
Medical Response: MBCC will work with the City of Miami Beach officials (in consultation with event organizers) to create a designated area for guests who are experiencing flu-like symptoms.
- MBCC is working with local public health officials regarding reporting protocols.
- MBCC will determine to the best extent possible what areas of the venue were visited, used or impacted by an infected guest.
Technology: MBCC and its affiliated vendors, clients and partners will work together to leverage technology in order to minimize touchpoints.
- MBCC staff will work with GSCs, clients and other partners to develop virtual registration and self-service kiosks where possible.
- Smart City (Internet and telecommunications) has a wireless infrastructure for clients.
- First Class Valet (valet parking) has ticketless service and payment options
- Centerplate (F&B) has contactless payment methods and other service enhancements to reduce touchpoints.